Because it’s one of the two large orchids given to me by my aunt BB about a year ago, from my late grandma’s collection. I named the other one Kamila, after my Popo, Margaret Kamila Yuen. This one is Wallace, after my Goong Goong, Wallace Lin Chew Yuen.
With some help from r/orchids on Reddit, I’ve found the possible ID of this plant, Epidendrum ciliare, or now, Coilostylis ciliaris. This forum has helped me with ALL of my orchid concerns. Do find some general help online first though.
The other day, my Aunt calls, distressed because she has to get rid of her plants. “Of course, I’ll take the orchids,” I say.
These are what she brought. #nicknames #organizing #newhashtageverytime
Above: a very mature #oncidium
This plant interests me very much because it is apparently originally from my Popo’s garden, making it over 20 years old. I can confirm my popo’s use of concrete pots. She had many yellow “popcorn orchid” in front of their home on Kawainui Street in these same concrete pots when I was a little kid over 30 years ago. My cousins and I used to play with the little black beetles that would come crawling out of the gravel in the pots after Popo had done her morning misting. Daniel and Kaipo would try and convince us younger kids that we should eat them.
We’ll call this plant #MargaretKamila, and hope it turns up yellow
Above: some #cattleya
Above: a #dendrobium with a will to survive. 3 keiki just starting on the far left. We’ll give her a name, because we’ll be tracking her progress.
As with most of my first orchids, by the time I began to look into orchid tending, these were already suffering from major root rot. This guy lost all his leaves, and never quite made it back. It would be my first loss. I am going to let it go in its pot on its own and see what happens. Maybe under a tree.